Catechism

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Snap

Latho resigned, not only as Leader of the Labor Party, but also as member for Werriwa.

While his leadership resignation is unsurprising, his leaving politics altogether impresses upon me the seriousness of his illness.

I now fully expect Beazers, aka Big Kim, to return to the leadership position; I also expect, as a result, a large number of people deciding not to renew their memberships this year.

UPDATE:

Listening to the live media conferences of Bomber and Rudder. Looks like its Beazers.

UPDATE II:

Some interesting commentary over at Kick & Scream. Not sure whether Rob supports Beazers or not. I certainly don't, but am unsure who would be better...

UPDATE III:

You can see the footage of Latho's resignation here. As Blair S. Fairman points out, he does not look well.

4 Comments:

  • At January 18, 2005 4:00 pm, Blogger B. S. Fairman said…

    He didn't look too well when he spoke to the cameras.

     
  • At January 18, 2005 4:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I predicted this over a week ago. Latham isn't the type of person to just move to the backbench...

    As a Lib, but one who doesn't like to see the complete decimation of the other side of politics (it isn't healthy), I think the smartest choice would be Stephen Smith or Lindsay Tanner as Leader - both are well spoken, yet non-controversial enough to garner support, as well as being 'likeable' characters, something that I have always thought necessary for a Labor leader to win (think Hawke, Gough, et al).

    I'd then install Beazley as Deputy. He's a smart, smart cookie, and one who has significant support on both sides, but not, to me, as Leader. I don't think the public see him as a leader, but as a statesman, and thus Deputy Leader will suit him. Plus he isn't a long-term solution as Leader, he's getting on - and as Deputy he can retire with a bang.

    I don't know how the factional machinations would work there... is that sort of setup factionally possible?

     
  • At January 18, 2005 7:25 pm, Blogger JP said…

    Believe it or not, it is sad to see the bloke go, but if this decision keeps him alive a few more years, that is a good thing.

    Just wondering, how safe is Latham's seat? Would it be possibly for a prominent Laborite such as Bob Carr to parachute into Werriwa and lead the party into the next election, a la Bob Hawke?

     
  • At January 19, 2005 8:17 am, Blogger Le Driver said…

    I was fortunate enough to hear Lindsay Tanner speak in Melbourne a few months ago, and was very pleased with what he had to say. As far as Labor goes, he's quite progressive, too. Though I'd find it hard to believe Beazleybub won't end up with top job, my preference would be Lindsay Tanner.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home